Happy Trails, Skip

skip and bocce crew    skip and julie

We recently lost a beloved member of the Radio Boise family, Otis “Skip” Means. In Skip’s all-too-brief tenure here, he affected everyone he came into contact with, all with boundless energy, a steady supply of wisecracks and an eagerness to contribute in any way he could.

Read His Public Obituary

It’s our experiences with persons like Skip that, while breaking our hearts when they pass, also give us the privilege of meeting and growing to love the finest the community has to offer. That Skip would choose to grace us with so much of his valuable time, energy and brightness has made an imprint that will never find a twilight. Thanks to the big guy — who broadcasts now from a higher frequency.

We’re currently working on putting together a special block of programming in Skip’s honor on Radio Boise. This special program will air on Wednesday, February 15th, from noon to 3pm. We’d love a few words and a musical memory with a song request of Skip if you have one, and we hope you can tune in, either on 89.9 or 93.5FM in the Treasure Valley, or stream online.

Skip’s family has asked that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to Radio Boise. You can either make a song request or submit a memory if you are making a gift, or submit them to wayne@radioboise.org.

23 Comments

1. Layla Eidam

January 25, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Would you please let me know when you will be airing the tribute to Skip Means. He was a dear friend.

• WendyFox

January 27, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Layla – yes, we’ll post an update about the tribute on the website and send you an email!

• Janette McClelland

February 8, 2017 at 12:54 pm

That’s great news, I will definitely listen from here in Santa Rosa, CA.
        ‘Am so pleased to make a donation to you folks. Thanks for the good work you do!

• Wendy Fox

February 15, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Layla – Tune in today until 3pm for the Skip Tribute Show!

• Janette McClelland

February 15, 2017 at 12:23 pm

‘Totally enjoying the broadcast! Wow. Skip is rockin’-out in Heaven! Yaaaaa Baby!

Is there a way to purchase a CD of what you are playing (or otherwise have this broadcast for future enjoyment and remembrance of Skip)?

• WendyFox

February 16, 2017 at 11:37 am

Hey Janette –

We don’t provide copies of shows, but we do have a two-week archive of shows. The Skip Tribute was held during the time we regularly have a show called Dusky Durango’s Caravan, and you can re-listen here: http://www.radiofreeamerica.com/dj/dusky-durango

2. Tony Bonaminio

January 27, 2017 at 11:30 am

Skip was the Music Man for our Boise Bocce League. We’ll miss his exuberance, great rolling, and his eclectic mix of tunes. What a great guy. “Ya baby”

3. The Mynars

January 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Our next-door neighbor and great friend, Skip Means was bigger than life. He was the quintessential life of the party. He was one of the most fun people, fun to be around. He loved life and lived it with passion.
    Skip was ALWAYS prepared for anything. One of our first memories of him was a neighborhood picnic in the park. We were hosting it and realized that we didn’t have a chimney to get the charcoals going on that windy day. Never fear! Skip trotted out to his truck and returned with a chimney. Camping with Skip was absolutely the best.
    We will always miss Skip. We are honoring his memory with a donation to Radio Boise but will also honor him by pulling up an extra chair at the campfire for him.

4. Katie Riggins

January 27, 2017 at 7:06 pm

I met Skip in college and yes, he was a dj at the campus radio station! I think it was a true passion of his and it makes me so happy to know he spent time in his last few years of life with Radio Boise doing what he loved best, being involved with music. I can’t think of anyone who didn’t love him. He will be missed by so many people.

5. Calvin Gogerty

January 29, 2017 at 5:24 pm

A mutual friend of the Means family just notified me of Skip’s death. Jean’s and my thoughts and best wishes are with his wife, Garland Draper, and their family. Skip will have fair winds and following seas on his new passage, to the accompaniment of the music he enjoyed.

6. The Hundhausens

January 30, 2017 at 2:53 pm

I found his obituary online: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/idahostatesman/obituary.aspx?n=otis-witham&pid=183726135&

“Mr. Skip” (as my kids called him) will be definitely be missed.

7. Pam Young

February 8, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Skip can be described as a true friend, life of the party and all around great guy. He was always willing to teach and share his knowledge of things he loved such as fly fishing, music, boating and Bocce. He loved being at the helm of his boat. We enjoyed camping with him on many occasion. If you ever needed anything while camping it was the odds on favorite that Skip would have whatever you may need. I believe it was our first camping trip with him and Garland that he taught me how to cast a fly rod, which was no easy task as many of my cast ended up in a tree. Shortly after we returned to Boise from camping he came down to our house with a fly rod and gave it to me. I still have it to this day and will always cherish it and his memory dearly. He will be missed greatly.

8. Jennifer Merchant

February 8, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Skip was incredible in so many ways – his big smile, big voice and big heart made anyone and everyone around him feel welcome, special and included. His words like “Ya, baby!” and “happy wife, happy life:)” will forever ring in my ears with his smile and a warm hug. His philosophy of “yes” was contagious and we had many good times in this beautiful state with him and his family. He certainly was prepared for anything and everything wherever he was; camping with him was fantastic even if it did highlight our own disorganization!! I feel so privileged to have known him and to continue to know his equally wonderful wife and daughters. Skip made this world a better place and I hope we who knew him will strive to carry on his enduring values as we continue on without him.

9. Janette McClelland

February 8, 2017 at 12:52 pm

As next door neighbors, in Alameda CA, Skip and Garland were the BEST. Not only was Skip a lover of music and adventure and, yes, he was the life of a party (MANY parties), he fiercely loved (and loves) his family. Skip will be watching over them, DJ’ing his continuing love and support.

10. James Coberly Smith

February 8, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Skipper…one of the most grand and generous spirits I have ever encountered. Big, tall, happy feller who would always infuse the bocce league courts with his signature call, “YO Baby”! Since he always brought the sound system and music mix to enliven the Italian American bocce evenings, I will request my absolute favorite from the playlist, Louis Prima singing Just A Gigolo/I Ain’t Got Nobody. Wow! What a recording! The vocal chorus absolutely explodes out of the sound system (no David Lee Roth version please). Big Thanks to you Skipper for your warmth, inspiration and friendship. I’ll catch up with you one of these days and we’ll play some one on one bocce. I’ll handle the coin flip if you don’t mind. Love, James Coberly Smith

11. Pete Simpson

February 9, 2017 at 3:14 pm

We called him Skipper. We saw him downtown the day before he went into the hospital. I caught a quick glimpse of him on the other side of the street. I was not sure it was him as I could only see the side of his face and the back of him. Regardless, I yelled “Skipper”. He immediately crossed the street and gave us hugs and hand shakes. Big smile on his face as usual. That is how he will forever be remembered in our thoughts. Aloha Skipper! You will be dearly missed by many.

The Simpson family

12. Vernice Karbe

February 10, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Skip was me neighbor and horseback riding buddy in Ukiah. The horse lasted until he turned it in for a blue GTO. Please play ‘My Little GTO’ for Skip. I am so sad to hear of his loss.

Please notify me of any tributes to Skip.

13. Cat Antoniuk

February 12, 2017 at 2:48 am

I will now forever remember Skip anytime I hear the Cure, one of our favorite bands. Please play “Friday I’m in Love” during your tribute – and I will imagine us rocking out, with a big smile on his face.

14. Alma DeCristofaro

February 14, 2017 at 3:10 pm

We met Skip on the bocceball courts and he intantly became friends. He made us feel welconed eveytime he played. I will miss his as a cheerful teammate. My you always be at peace. Please play Beatles “I get by with a little from my friends”

15. Claire Myers

February 15, 2017 at 8:00 am

Every year at summer camp, my Uncle Skip sent me a hilarious letter and fantastic mixed tape! They had themes like “Polka Party” and were an eclectic jumble of all kinds of great music. On his radio tribute, could you please play “It’s Alright, Baby” by Komeda? This was one of my favorites on his mixes, and I can’t think of a better homage to a truly wonderful uncle.

16. "Uncle" Larry Burdick

February 15, 2017 at 10:31 am

Skip was my nephew. As an adult, Skip lived up to this old bumper sticker I once saw: “Life is short; Don’t drink cheap beer”.

RIP Skip

17. WendyFox

February 15, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Today is the Skip memorial show on Radio Boise! Tune in at http://www.radiorethink.com/tuner/?stationCode=radioboise

Send requests to Kate, who’s hosting the show, through Facebook:

18. "Uncle" Larry Burdick

February 15, 2017 at 2:14 pm

When Skip lived in Arlington Heights, IL he liked to listen to WLS radio Chicago,IL. DJ’s: Clark Weber, Uncle Lar. with his “Animal Stories & Dick Biondi who still does music part time. This would have been late 50’s-early 60’s.